Top 10 Things You Need To Know About Breindy And Matt In 2019 – Before Breindy and Matt, there was just Matt… before Breindy and Matt, there was just Breindy…Check their top 10 below:
- Their Jewish music has been recognised at the SAMAs. Their songs are sung in Hebrew, and the words are from tehillim [psalms].
2. Their first encounter was at Wits where we were both studying music. They met again a year later in Israel while Matt was studying in Yeshiva in Jerusalem, Breindy was a dorm counsellor in a girls seminary. Although they had no relation.
3. In 2010 at a friend’s house, in Rosebank, on Wednesday morning, that was the start of the collaboration which became our debut album, Hallelukah.
4. Matt comes from a rich heritage and background in Jewish music he loves, groundbreaking musicians like Sigur Ros, Avishai Cohen and Rufus Wainwright.
5. They released our first album Hallelukah in June 2011, it took them 9 months to produce. They started to break boundaries, grow outward and reach women of all backgrounds. Soon after its release they got married and started performing together.
6. It took 4 years – 4 years ago their first child came along; daughter, Rychel. Her birth was really the beginning of their journey towards their second album, Ruth Ave, with our single, Lulei For Rychel with Love.
7. Breindy and Matt’s sound, you could describe it as Ancient-Hebrew, Indie-Alternative, but just like the people behind the music, the euphony of Breindy and Matt is hard to put in a particular box.
8. You need to understand their music is in ancient Hebrew, Unless you grew up reading the Torah, you’re probably going to have some trouble understanding what’s going on on Breindy and Matt’s Ruth Avenue.
9. When Breindy and Matt met, their mutual love of road-tripping drew them together initially.
10. When she was in hospital, she was filled with the feeling of newness and rejuvenation, Breindy knew then that the song they had been working on through her pregnancy would be called Alex. Ruth Ave is a 9 track album which encapsulates the colours and moods of the journey we have travelled together, through the different phases of the life we have built together, in studio and at home.
You can follow them on Instagram:
Written by: Aphiwe Theodorah Mvinjelwa