Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The “Power” Songbird Amanda Black In 2019 – Amanda Black arrived and made a mark onto the South African music scene with her debut album, Amazulu, back in 2016.
Amanda, who shot to fame as a top 8 finalist on Idols SA, won over the hearts of fans for much of 2017 with her unique sound and strong vocals.
- The Afrosoul album, included the hit songs “Amazulu”, “Kahle” and “Sinazo”, did incredibly well, and four years after its release, is still one of the highest streamed albums in South Africa.
2. Then 23-years-old, Amanda Black sent shockwaves throughout the music industry with her seamless ability to create relatable anthems to which the whole country was singing along. Following the release of her debut album, she went on to collaborate with a number of South African musicians including Sjava and Vusi Nova.
3. At the 2017 South African Music Awards (SAMAs), Amanda Black showed everyone that she’d been in top form the previous year and went on to take home the awards for “Album of the Year”, “Best Newcomer of the Year,” “Best Female Artist of the Year” and “Best R&B Soul/Reggae Album.” She was also nominated for BET’s “Viewers’ Choice: Best International Act” in the same year.
4. Earlier this year in February 2019, she dropped the single “Thandwa Ndim” ahead of her upcoming album, Power.
5. Alongside the likes Shekhinah, Sho Madjozi, Lady Zamar and Simmy, Amanda Black is currently one of the most streamed women artists in South Africa and has been highlighted by Apple Music as part of their Visionary Women campaign.
6. When she wrote her first album she had to relieve some of the things that she went through. she had to go back in her mind and attempt to remember certain feelings. Like when she got my heartbroken, lost a good friend and so forth.
7. When she was making her sophomore album. she felt a lot of pressure because of the success of Amazulu. She had people coming to her and asking, “How are you going to top Amazulu?”. But she had to remove herself from that so she can make the music, music that she likes.
Amanda Black Says producing power was different, Even the way she wrote was different. They still have a similar appeal in genre and sound, although Power speaks maturity.
8. Amanda Black would like to work in the near future with Anatii, Shekhinah as well.
9. A year ago, she started to do a pad drive where she donate pads to schools. At the moment, she is doing it on her own, and she is in the process of planning to get sponsorship and doing it on a larger scale and more frequently.
10. Musically, Amanda plans to advance and evolve. She wants to become a continental songwriter and vocalist. She wants to take her music globally. She yearns to be A voice For the voiceless. She dropped her highly esteemed album on the 25th of October 2019 and her body of work has received a great reception from Fans. She raised the bar when she featured Anthony Hamilton on her album, and to add sauce to the achievement made him sing in her native language ” IsiXhosa”